Success comes from a God-inspired plan, using common sense, and staying well informed. The common sense is not necessarily the concept carnal-thinking Christians maintain. For instance, it is common sense to give as the Bible teaches, but carnal-minded Christians might disagree.
The carnal-minded person might think that we are foolish to give anything away. Their thinking may sound like common sense to some, but in reality all carnal thinking is foolishness and opposes God. Romans 8:7 in The Amplified Bible says, "...because the mind of the flesh [with its carnal thoughts and purposes] is hostile to God, for it does not submit itself to God's Law; indeed it cannot." Any time we make a case for contradicting the Bible, we are not using common sense—we are acting foolishly! The wise will act on the Word even at the risk of looking like a fool.
It has been said that "common sense is not very common." This is even truer when we understand common sense as scriptural common sense.
Any enterprise we set out to pursue is destined to succeed when we follow these simple yet wise guidelines.
1. Pursue God's presence. When we worship and fellowship with the Lord on a daily basis, then we can expect to know the course He has set for us.
2. Honor God by giving to Him. God's spirit of generosity will govern our lives when we begin to look for ways to bless others and cause them to increase. When we make something happen for others, God will move to make things happen for us.
3. Develop a plan with godly wisdom. One step at a time, we can begin to see God's plan become a reality when we follow the leadership of the Holy Spirit. He will give us thoughts and ideas that we can begin to act on. It is the doer, not the hearer only, who will succeed
4. If we lack the wisdom, ask God for it. James 1:5-8 promises, "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways" (NKJV). God gave Solomon wisdom and much more. He will give us wisdom when we ask too.
5. Keep well informed. We must evaluate our progress along the way and examine our obedience to the plan God has given us. We must check our hearts to maintain an attitude that honors God and lifts people by asking ourselves if we are truly moving toward the dream God has placed in our hearts. Then, if necessary, modify our course according to the answer.
Increase is a matter of doing what God has called us to do and acting on His promises. When asked the key to his success one great leader said, "I pray, and I obey." Therein is great wisdom.
- Excerpt from the
Dreams Really Do Come True
There have always been men and women who refused to allow the restrictions of their surroundings to limit their dreams. These were people who stood head and shoulders above others stretching themselves and their ... read more